Friday, June 5, 2009

sweet succulents


Oh how do I love succulents? Let me count the ways. Way one: they are almost impossible to kill, which is great for my sadly black thumb. These beauties even like arid desert-y climate, meaning that if you forget to water them for awhile, you can rest assured they will forgive you. I have a small one that lives on the windowsill in my office (all the way up on the 42nd floor) that has flourished despite the harsh flourescent overhead lighting and sporadic watering. Gotta love that. Way two: they seriously have quirky little personalities. C's grandparents have a HUGE flowering agave in thier sandy front yard in El Paso that is spindly and leggy and awesome. Way three: they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and colors (and change color depending on the lighting). Plus they are all so positively juicy looking. I love them, and C loves them. I gifted one to my grandmother for mother's day and I was gifted a little planter full of them (similar to the ones below) for my birthday back in April.

Needless to say, I love love this idea from the cute, quirky new blog yes, please. Kelly and her hubby had seriously amazing DIY succulent centerpieces and guest goodies at thier wedding. Totally inspirational and totally an idea worth stealing! She got her cool zinc numbers at Anthro and her little plants for approx. $1.75/plant at Home Depot. The little galvantized tin planters that they used as guest favors were from ikea. So stinking sweet.



P.S. Hope you all have a lovely weekend. This weekend I am re-potting some plants, including my office buddy, doing some late-spring/early-summer cleaning (including my closet if I can bribe myself with enough coffee and cookies) and generally laying low. And I can't wait.

All pretty pics via yes, please.

2 comments:

amber {daisy chain} said...

succulents are my secret passion - we have loads of them in the garden, they just keep multiplying and it looks great!

Molly said...

I adore succulents! However i mostly grow potato plants in glass jars, they leaf out and vine everywhere and actually end up looking very nice after a week or two...not as sweet and tidy as succulents but VERY durable as well.